Monday, August 1, 2016

My 365 Days Project Submissions (and, the story of my "Strange & Bizarre" life)

     Hello. I'm Sammy Reed, and welcome to the "Music from the World of the Strange and the Bizarre" blog.
     In this post, I'll have links to the first music I ever posted online (which is all still there!), and also give a summary of my various strange-music and online endeavors. I'll skip some details here that I may get to in future posts, to make this a lot easier to read.

     I have collected strange records since I was a teenager. During this time, I used to pretend I was on radio. Mostly, just a record player, some records, and yourself was all that was required there. Anyway, in September 1990, I started a new "show" on my "station". I called this show "Music from the World of the Strange and the Bizarre".

     In 2003, I discovered the 365 Days Project, and enjoyed many of the songs posted over the next few months. I thought of maybe sending something there myself, but I kept getting discouraged. But eventually (in November?), I got a little guts, and made an attempt to send in something to the project. And here it is:
 
Norgine Laboratories - The Recorded Detailman
This was the only submission I sent in that year. The only image I sent in myself was the record label. I think the guy on the record was the announcer on the "Guiding Light" radio show in the early-50's.

     On the 4th of July, 2006, I launched my own website, which had some interesting audios, and lasted almost 10 years.
     In 2007, I found out that the 365 Days Project was back! My courage increased in those last few years, so I sent in more submissions. And here they are:

 
 
The Great Soybean Raid of 1981
I'm still wincing over that "goodly amount of fellow farmers" choice of words. HOOboy.
 
 
 
 I do still have the tapes with the unknown band, but sadly, I no longer have any of those records.
 
     In 2008, I took my show online, where people were actually able to hear it this time.

     Then came 2012, and I got the idea that I should "grow up", and get rid of strange music. So I ended my online show, and sold off my 45's and about 1/4th of my albums. I threw away CD's that had strange music on them.
     But I still had a lot of albums. I even found out later that I still had a few strange-music CD's!
     In 2013, it was getting obvious that my attempt to "grow up" by getting rid of strange music wasn't working out, and I began another 45 collection. I brought back my online show, and rebuilt my strange-music collection quite a bit. 
     In August, 2015, I stopped my online show until I was able to do a live streaming show of some kind. I'm still looking at that possibility. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't know how close I am to that end of the tunnel. That's been my problem so far. But I think it looks good for sometime in the near future, I don't know.
 
     And earlier this year, I ended my website. Then I started thinking about putting the different kinds of audios I have on different blogs. This would serve the purposes of some of the pages I had in the website.
 
     I hope you'll enjoy what I put up. Thank you very much!
 
("goodly amount of fellow farmers" - Allllrighty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment