Friday, August 19, 2016

My New Pick for "Best Song-Poem"

1/19/17: I wish I updated this MONTHS ago! I have a new pick for "best song-poem" -
"This Big, Wide World We Live In" by Michelle Wood. You can hear that here.

     First of all, I'm very sorry I haven't done a new post here for more than half a month. I have other things to take care of, which I don't know if I'll ever get out of the way, but I'll try to put a new post here every once in a while, at least.
     Now - My last post put in mind my ill-advised coining of the phrase "a goodly amount of fellow farmers". That brought to my mind a comment I made in another blog which, as well-intentioned as it was, maybe should've had more thought going into it before I posted it.
     It was in the wonderful WFMU "Beware of the Blog" (RIP) blog, "MSR Madness", Vol. 5 & 6.
     First of all, I'd like to thank the folks who left comments that pushed mine back to page 2, but I thought I'd link page 2 here so you-all can have fun reading my comment.
     Instead of spending paragraphs trying to explain myself out of what may have been "wrong" with the comment, I'll just summarize what I said then that I still mean to this day:
  • "I Have a Number" is a great song,
  • Nita Garfield (aka "Nita Craig" and other names she was given on various Preview 45's) was a nice-looking gal with a sweet voice, and
  • She and Charlotte (aka "Bonnie") were taken from us much too soon.
     What is different is that since I wrote that comment, another song came to my mind as the "best song-poem" I have heard so far, as far as something that could pass for a "real" song.
     That song is "How to Forget" by Bobbi Blake, one of the records I used to have before the 2012 "purge" (where I got rid of strange music in an attempt to "grow up").
     When I had that record, I put it on YouTube. I still have that video, and now have it uploaded on Dailymotion, but if your computer is like mine, the song will keep getting stuck while you wait for ads to load. (That's why I recommend watching Dailymotion videos on the mobile app, or Apple TV, instead of a computer. You won't have that problem then).
     So I converted it to MP3, so it'll be much easier to play and download. Enjoy!

     To make up for one of the mistakes I made in that comment, instead of linking just one page I found of what is really a series, I'll link to the main page of the tribute to Charlotte,
     (Then you can click parts 4 & 5 and see what a nice-looker Nita was. Dang, I better stop now so I don't get myself in anymore trouble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment